Membership Change Requests


On this page you may request changes to your membership details. This is the most reliable way to ensure your request is processed properly. If anything is unclear please feel free to call the gym (970-999-5596) during regular business hours for assistance.

You must make change requests no less than THREE days prior to the date you wish the change to take place. If you are within three days of the deadline, the system will not allow you to select the next month as your requested date.

Reminder: If you are freezing your Monthly AutoPay Membership your account will be charged the freeze fee (currently $10/month/person) in lieu of your full membership dues. This change will be effective until you either unfreeze or terminate your membership.

To unfreeze your membership it is not necessary to use this form. You may simply request the unfreeze when you check in at the gym.

The "robot test" on this page seems to work best in Chrome. If you are still having trouble submitting this form you may send an email with you request details to membership_changes at