Fall Adult Sport League: Nov 1 - Dec 13
We are continuing in the tradition of our Summer Bouldering League by creating a setting where climbers of all abilities can enjoy an evening climbing together and hopefully getting to know more people in the gym. To that end, this will also be a team-based league, but this time you can put together your own team (or if you don't have a regular set of partners we'll put you on a team).
The scoring will be different to account for the varying abilities of climbers. Basically like a golf tournament you'll have a handicap, and you'll be rewarded for climbing above your "normal" abilities and progressing.
Here's the skinny
- Starts Wednesday, Nov 1 at 6:00pm.
- Meets Wednesday at 6:00pm every week, skipping the Wednesday of Thanksgiving week, and ending on Dec 13.
- Participants create their own team of 4 climbers. If the climber doesn't have a team, they can still join the league, and we'll put them together with a team that needs filling up.
- It's okay if you can't arrive until later. You can climb until 10pm.
- Over the course of the league your score will be your top 4 weeks of league scoring (not including finals)... thus, you are allowed to miss 1 week (of the 5 normal league nights) without it affecting your score.
- Price: $30 includes a t-shirt, and a party for finals.
- T-shirts provided towards the end of November.
- Finals on Wed, December 13th. We haven't set the format for that yet, but we hope to again create a venue where everyone can get a moment in the spotlight.
Week 1: Nov 1
The first week, before starting to climb, each person will declare their "TARGET" grade. This should be the top grade that you normally climb consistently well, but don't always flash. If you are a lead climber, then this should be a grade that you can achieve on lead. We do reserve the right to increase your target grade (and recalculate your scores) if you end up underestimating your ability.
The rest of the evening you'll attempt to complete 5 climbs at or above your target grade. You'll get more points for going above your target and fewer points for climbing below your target. All of the rope routes in the gym are available for you to climb and achieve points.
It's OK for you to have climbed/rehearsed a route before arriving at the gym on league night, but to get the points for a route on league night you must send it cleanly, bottom to top without hanging on the rope. If you fall, then your belayer must lower you to the ground before starting again for it to count.
Weeks 2 - 5: Nov 8 - Dec 6
Each week all of the rope routes in the gym are available for you to climb and achieve points. If you received points for a route one week, then you are allowed to receive points for that same route a subsequent week, but only 2 times for any specific route. Each week the setters will remove some routes and put up new ones so you should always have enough new routes at or above your target grade.
Weeks 6: Dec 13
Stay tuned for details about finals, but it WILL be fun, and everyone gets to climb and contribute points to the team score.
To determine how many points you'll receive for a climb look at the column that corresponds to your target grade. Then go down the column to find the grade of the climb that you completed. Your points are listed in the left-hand column.
Bonus points are given for climbing the route on lead. Lead bonus = +5. Routes on the lead prow that can only be climbed on lead do still get the lead bonus.
We may adjust this table slightly if we see that it could be made fairer.