Mission and Values
The mission of the Ascent Studio Youth Clubs is to nurture and challenge young climbers as they learn new technical skills, engage in physical activity, and explore what it means to be a member of the climbing community.
In upholding this mission, we pursue the following core values:
- We embrace challenge, because challenge offers us an opportunity to grow.
- We seek out knowledge, because knowledge equips us for success.
- We commit to an active lifestyle, because we value a healthy body and a healthy mind.
- We encourage everyone, because everyone deserves the support of the community.
- We foster an environment of respect and acceptance, because everyone is an equal member of our community.
- We emphasize individualized learning, because each participant is unique.
In an effort to continually improve our youth programming, we've made a few changes to the Youth Clubs for the upcoming spring 2018 sessions. If you have any questions or concerns about these changes, please email our Director of Programming, Andrew Lee.
- Session Length: We increased the length of our sessions from four weeks to six weeks. A longer session allows us to teach a more in-depth curriculum, and cover more ground in each session. This enhances the experience of all our Youth Club participants.
- Session Dates:
- January 15th through February 23rd
- February 26th through April 13th (no classes the week of PSD's Spring Break)
- April 16th through May 25th
- Pricing: At first glance, it may look like we raised our prices for the clubs. However, this is simply because we increased the length of each session by 50%. In fact, with the Early Signup option, we discounted our prices, so don't wait to reserve your spot!
- Early Signup: We introduced an Early Signup option this spring. Besides making sure your child has a spot, you can register early and save money! Prices go up two weeks before the start of each session.
- Time Changes: Our Saplings and Arborists classes have moved to a 5:45 start time. This is to allow our instructors time to properly transition between groups of students, and to alleviate congestion in the gym.
- New Clubs: We're pleased to add several new offerings to the lineup this Spring. We added a Seeds class on Monday, a 1/wk Sprouts class on Thursday, and a 1/wk Saplings class on Thursday. Additionally, we expanded the Arborists program to include a class tailored for 6-9 year olds.
Club Level 1
Our Level 1 Clubs are designed for the climber that is just getting started, and wants to explore the joys of climbing in an educational and interactive environment.
Seeds (Ages 3-5)
Our Seeds classes, designed for climbers ages 3-5, focuses on developing gross and fine motor skills in a challenging and safety-conscious environment. Students will play games, tackle obstacles, and explore new opportunities under the guidance of our trained youth intstructors.
Sprouts (Ages 6-9)
Our Sprouts classes, designed for climbers ages 6-9, focus on problem solving, skill retention, and creative exploration while introducing basic climbing techniques. Our talented instructors will encourage students to grow at their own pace, while imparting foundational climbing knowledge.
Saplings (Ages 10-14)
Our Saplings classes, designed for climbers ages 10-14, emphasize setting personal goals, embracing new challenges, and building teamwork by introducing new and complex skills in a collaborative learning environment. Our instructors will lead the group on an interactive journey to establish climbing fundamentals and prepare students for a lifetime of climbing success.
Club Level 2
The Arborists our Club Level Two program, is designed for students who have completed AT LEAST 2 sessions of our Club Level One programs, the Sprouts or the Saplings; OR have received a personal recommendation from a Youth Instructor. Mastery of the topics covered in our Club Level One curricula is a prerequisite for placement into the Arborists.
Arborists (Ages 6-9)
Our Arborists class for younger climbers builds off the skills learned in the Sprouts class, and dives into more complex climbing techniques and drills. Climbers can expect to be challenged in unique ways, achieve mastery of difficult climbing topics, and "reach new heights" as they discover the intricacies of climbing under the guidance of our skilled instructors.
Arborists (Ages 10-14)
Our Arborists class for older climbers, ages 10-14, picks up where the Saplings classes leave off. Students will be introduced to brand new topics, and challenged to identify specific ways they can grow as climbers. Our instructors will tailor each class to ensure that students have the opportunity to reach their potential and achieve personal goals.