Registration is now live!! Scroll down for more info.
Note: if you're looking for our competitive climbing team, head on over to our Team Ascent page. Tryouts are August 18th and 19th!
Mission and Values
The mission of the Ascent Studio Youth Clubs is to nurture and challenge young climbers as they learn new technical skills, engage in physical activity, and explore what it means to be a member of the climbing community.
In upholding this mission, we pursue the following core values:
- We embrace challenge, because challenge offers us an opportunity to grow.
- We seek out knowledge, because knowledge equips us for success.
- We commit to an active lifestyle, because we value a healthy body and a healthy mind.
- We encourage everyone, because everyone deserves the support of the community.
- We foster an environment of respect and acceptance, because everyone is an equal member of our community.
- We emphasize individualized learning, because each participant is unique.
2018 Updates: FALL 2018
In an effort to continually improve our youth programming, we've made a few changes to the Youth Clubs for the upcoming fall 2018 sessions. If you have any questions or concerns about these changes, please email our Director of Programming, Andrew Lee.
- Session Length: In the spring of 2018, we experimented with a six-week session length. Although we like the longer session format, the PSD school schedule in the fall does not fit well with a six-week rotation. Instead, we are offering our Level 1 Clubs on a 4-week rotation and our Level 2 and 3 Clubs on an 8-week rotation. This allows us to offer a much more detailed curriculum in our more advanced classes, while still offering schedule flexibility in the entry-level classes.
- Session Dates: Club Level 1
- August 27th through September 17th
- September 24th through October 15th
- October 22nd through November 12th
- November 26th through December 17th
- Session Dates: Club Levels 2 and 3
- August 27th through October 15th
- October 22nd through December 17th (No classes the week of PSD's Thanksgiving Break)
- Pricing: Although the cost for the Level 2 and 3 Clubs is significantly higher than the Level 1 Clubs, the number of hours these programs contain is four times the amount of instruction in the Level 1 Clubs. When you do the math, you're getting significantly more bang for your buck in the higher clubs.
- Early Signup: We introduced an Early Signup option this spring. Besides making sure your child has a spot, you can register early and save money! Prices go up two weeks before the start of each session.
- Makeup Policy If you can't attend one of your classes, don't fret. Let us know, and we'd be happy to schedule you for a makeup class. Makeup classes occur only during Friday Night Rock Out, or Weekend Warrior classes on Sundays. You may make up ONE class per 4-week session, or TWO classes per 8-week session.
Club Level 1
Our Level 1 Clubs are designed for the climber that is just getting started, and wants to explore the joys of climbing in an educational and interactive environment. All of our Level 1 Clubs meet only once per week, and follow a 4-week curriculum. If you're just wanting to get your toes wet while discovering the magical sport of climbing, this is the place for you!
Seeds (Ages 3-5)
Our Seeds classes, designed for climbers ages 3-5, focus on developing gross and fine motor skills in a challenging and safety-conscious environment. Students will play games, tackle obstacles, and explore new opportunities under the guidance of our trained youth intstructors.
Sprouts (Ages 6-9)
Our Sprouts classes, designed for climbers ages 6-9, focus on problem solving, skill retention, and creative exploration while introducing basic climbing techniques. Our talented instructors will encourage students to grow at their own pace, while imparting foundational climbing knowledge.
Saplings (Ages 10-14)
Our Saplings classes, designed for climbers ages 10-14, emphasize setting personal goals, embracing new challenges, and building teamwork by introducing new and complex skills in a collaborative learning environment. Our instructors will lead the group on an interactive journey to establish climbing fundamentals and prepare students for a lifetime of climbing success.
Club Level 2
Our Club Level 2 programs are designed for students who have completed AT LEAST 1 session of our Club Level 1 programs, the Sprouts or the Saplings; OR have received a personal recommendation from a Youth Instructor. Mastery of the topics covered in our Club Level One curricula is a prerequisite for enrollment into Level 2.All of our Level 2 programs occur twice a week, and follow an 8-week curriculum. If you're ready to take your skills to the next level, this is the place for you!
Sprouts (Ages 6-9)
Our Level 2 Sprouts classes, designed for climbers ages 6-9, focus on mastering the skills and techniques taught in the Level 1 Sprouts classes. These include advanced problem solving, skill analysis and application, and basic climbing movement theory. Our talented instructors will motivate students to mature as climbers, master new skills, and redefine boundaries of ability.Completion of at least one session of Level 1 Sprouts is recommended before enrollment in Level 2.
Saplings (Ages 10-14)
Our Level 2 Saplings classes, designed for climbers ages 10-14, build on the foundations established in our Level 1 Saplings classes. Students will set and achieve personal goals, discover the joy of new challenges, and improve group and individual performance by experiencing intermediate and advanced skills in a collaborative learning environment. Our instructors will lead the group on an interactive journey to establish climbing fundamentals and prepare students for a lifetime of climbing success.Completion of at least one session of Level 1 Saplings is recommended before enrollment in Level 2.
Club Level 3
The Arborists, our Club Level Three program, is designed for students who have completed AT LEAST 1 session of our Club Level Two programs, the Sprouts or the Saplings; OR have received a personal recommendation from a Youth Instructor. Mastery of the topics covered in our Club Level Two curricula is a prerequisite for placement into the Arborists.All of our Club Level 3 programs meet twice per week and operate on an 8-week schedule.
Arborists (Ages 6-9)
Our Arborists class for younger climbers builds off the skills learned in the Sprouts class, and dives into more complex climbing techniques and drills. Climbers can expect to be challenged in unique ways, achieve mastery of difficult climbing topics, and "reach new heights" as they discover the intricacies of climbing .
Arborists (Ages 10-14)
Our Arborists class for older climbers, ages 10-14, picks up where the Saplings classes leave off. Students will be introduced to brand new topics, and challenged to identify specific ways they can grow as climbers. Our instructors will tailor each class to ensure that students have the opportunity to reach their potential and achieve personal goals.
Our Homeschool Clubs are designed for, you guessed it, homeschoolers! Learn the basics of bouldering, top-roping and what it means to be a part of the climbing community alongside fellow homeschoolers.All of our Homeschool Clubs meet once per week and operate on a 4-week schedule.
Ages 12 and under
Our 12 and under Homeschool Club focuses on problem solving, skill retention, and creative exploration while introducing basic climbing techniques. Our talented instructors will encourage students to grow at their own pace, while imparting foundational climbing knowledge.
Ages 13 and up
Our 13 and up Homeschool Club emphasizes setting personal goals, embracing new challenges, and building teamwork by introducing new and complex skills in a collaborative learning environment. Our instructors will lead the group on an interactive journey to establish climbing fundamentals and prepare students for a lifetime of climbing success.